Sunday, December 24, 2006

Safari, South Africa

It was 10am when the white van honked from the driveway of my hostel. I had only been in South Africa for about a day, but was about to depart for a six day safari. Getting into the van was one of those moments in time, when all I could do was take a deep breath and reluctantly admit to myself that I had no idea what the hell I was getting into. I was caught up in the cross hairs of simultaneously being afraid and excited. It’s a good way for a young twenty-something to feel.

The safari turned out to be incredible. Seeing how the animals interacted with each other and their environment, made me feel like the extreme distance we have from nature (think: cars driving on paved roads, needlessly large houses, complicated love affairs, the production of tremendous amounts of waste, television, etc) is probably harming us more than helping us.

Describing a safari in words is probably not possible. Here are a few of the photos:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home