Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Rocco Report, Spain

Ok, so while “manic” went around Granada, Cordoba, and Madrid looking at old buildings, I immersed myself in the Spanish culture. What did I discover? That the Spaniards are wimps! Tons of Spanish guys actually carry purses! Now, as odd as this may sound, it actually explains their culture perfectly. See, the Spanish men, by doing something as effeminate as carrying what is clearly an accessory for women, need to balance their machismo out, and to do this, they decided many centuries ago to do the most masculine thing in the world - run around with, piss off, and fight, bulls. Makes sense to me. “Yeah, I carry a purse, but I also get bulls wicked pissed off and then fight them – you gonna do anything about that purse amigo?”

However, even if you do fight bulls for fun, carrying a purse is for sissies, and being a sissy explains the Spanish custom of siesta. For those of you who aren’t as acculturated as I am, siesta is the magical time from 2 – 4 in the afternoon, in which most of Spain shuts down to take a nap. Aww, they need a little nap, how cute!

All above remarks aside though, Spain was quite cool. It seems like the Spanish really know how to enjoy life - even if the men do carry purses and need mid day naps. However, the coolest part is the nightlife in Granada. Though just a small city, Granada has a decent nightlife, and a kick ass policy at its bars – with every drink you buy, you get a free Tapas. Tapas, is a delicious little snack that if you eat 5 or six of them, you will be full. When I say snack, I don’t mean a handful of peanuts like the bars in the US might give you, I mean a ham and melted cheese sandwich on a bagel, or mozzarella, tomato and olive oil on toast. How perfect is that! You can have a wild night out, and a full belly without ever paying for dinner! Not bad at all, cheers Granada!

-Rocco

PS that bastard photographer, “manic” caught me while I was blinking and made me post the picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home