Sunday, November 12, 2006

Oxford, England

The town of Oxford, England is just about perfect if you need to be a serious student. There is a small art scene, a few dance clubs, pubs, cheap restaurants, a small shopping area, and lots of parks and gardens, but nothing so over stimulating that you are ever distracted from your studies. I think the most exciting Oxford centric activity is “The Oxford Story” which is like Disney’s “Small World” ride, but about Oxford, and not whatever the hell “Small World” is about. But if you’re an Oxford student, this level of stimulation –not much - is a good thing, because Oxford kids have to study wicked hard.

Through some cosmic alignment of the forces, friends from nearly all realms of my life are studying at Oxford this semester. This made for an incredible week of hanging out in café’s, bars (including the one Tolkien and Lewis used to drink at), restaurants and living rooms. It was the perfect way to recharge as I hit the halfway point in my trip and gear up for the African leg.

Other than being completely enchanted by my friends, the most noteworthy thing that happened was the pumpkin carving accident on Halloween. See “What do 50 Million American’s Lack…” for the full story.

Thanks to: GN – Thanks for everything, it’s always a blast with you – reviving the math class drink was incredible, and you took great care of me after the pumpkin accident. Sorry about messing up your house - tell everyone there I say thanks, and tell AH not to be such a wanker in the future.
MZ – Thanks for taking me out of the cold. It was good catching up with you and just shooting the bull for a while. Our conversations are always fast, even though you say “self righteous” like it’s a bad thing.
JA – Wow, you’re a wild child now, and I love hanging out with you more than ever. Next time we get together though, I’ll choose the restaurant. Hahaha.
MF – Seriously, that pinkie promise about next summer makes me so happy. “Sick moves”, useless arguments, and intimate sailing conferences, to continue in summer ‘07!
Next Stop: Spanish Whirlwind (Granada, Cordoba, Madrid in one week or less)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home